Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mounds Of Happiness, Joy, Terror & Destruction!

Where do I start?

THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES HAVE WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!

A day many thought would NEVER ever come has finally blessed this city! Everyone's spirits were dim because of the rain delay, but I have to say that I never lost hope. Something inside of me (that usually takes the pessimistic route) strangely remained...optimistic. I can't say what it was. Perhaps their consistent amazing offense and defense. Perhaps it was bad calls that continued to go our way? Or perhaps it was the fact that I've basically been drunk for 9 straight days.... I was looking forward to running to broad street. And I did.

In the bottom of the ninth the Phillies were up one point. And slowly with every out I put one more outside article on my body. With 2 outs and 2 strikes down I had everything ready..my shoes were on, an extra sweatshirt, scarves and my winter coat were on. Then It Happened.

I can't even tell you if I remember what the last play looked like on television except from what I've seen in pictures and from the replays, because as soon as I saw that last out everything went off in my apartment and I was headed towards broad! Yelling and screaming down market as buses and cab drivers were honking their horns... it was incredible.

But nothing was as incredible as what I witnessed on Broad street last night. Coming around the bend by City Hall off of market making my way to South Broad was amazing. The sound of the crowd just echoed down the streets. Here are a few pictures I took of the rowdiness. Mind you, I left before cars were turned and stores were broken into.

Photobucket
My temporary view standing on the wall of Banana Republic

Photobucket
Drunken Fool 1 of 275438041239

Photobucket
Fireworks in the street!

Photobucket
Random fire 1 of 23847230 (note, number is smaller than number of fools)

Photobucket
Morning after on my walk to work...Love Park fountain is now clad with park benches and trashcans

Photobucket
One of the front windows of Robinson's Luggage that was destroyed last night (after I left the area)


Photobucket
Poor guy.

Everybody says Phillies fans can't enjoy anything and that we don't deserve this parade tomorrow but you know what, screw that. I was a part of history and I'm sure as hell I will never experience anything like this for a long time. Eagles, anyone?

While I'm sure everyone has seen their share of pictures and videos from last night, here are links to MORE!

via CNN's front page (nice job, Philly!) http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-129498

phila weekly http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/?inc=vid&id=1421174

No comments: